Read other TriBlogs

20 miles

1000milesby 1000milesJun 22nd 2014
After months and months of anticipation, today I completed the first 2% of my trip.

Even though it chucked it down all day, it felt amazing. Firstly, there was the overwhelming sense of relief that 'a day' is a very manageable thing. Now that I know what 'a day' feels like, all I have to do is engage the repeat button. Psychologically everything becomes much more achievable.

My game plan was always to take it easy for the first week, ease myself in gently. I'm pleased to say I resisted all my raging bull urges and fulfilled this. 20 miles of rolling hills is well within my abilities but this is not a race and I am not the hare. I am, and probably always will be, the tortoise and I will remember this for the next few days. Capiche, Claire?
20 miles
The pram works and I can work with the pram. Undoubtedly though, this thing is not for the faint hearted. Once you get to the hills, it's heavy. Real heavy. But that's OK. I was thinking a lot today about whether I could manage this run with all my kit on my back. I most certainly could not. By the end of the day, my joints and legs were starting to get sore - goodness knows how much worse that would be had I got a kit bag on my back.

The morning itself was completely overwhelming. For any of you that have made this pilgrimage in either direction there is a real sense of anticipation and excitement from everybody as soon as you arrive. I was given numerous donations before I even left the car park - something I really wasn't expecting. In fact, it continued all day. People stopping cars and giving me cash for the cause. My highlight was an OAP committing the most hazardous U-turn I've ever seen to make sure that 6p of shrapnel ended up in my hand. Hilarious.

The traffic was probably the least fun part. I always knew this was going to be the tricky bit and it's definitely that. A good portion of my day was spent on a very quiet road with virtually no cars at all, the other portion was on a busy road, a busy 60 mile an hour road. Although everyone very diligently gave me lots of space, just the noise of the engine churning behind/ in front of you becomes quite emotionally taxing after a while. You repeatedly end up holding your breath until the vehicle whooshes past you. I'm hoping I'll get a bit more used to it after a while.

Anyway, now for rest and self-massage and compression socks.

Noodles and lentils for tea. Yum.
Blogging Service, © TriBlogs Join TriBlogs to post comments and/or create your own blog, all for free! Read other Triathlon Blogs