Read other TriBlogs
Tinydave heading for the                Galway Half-Ironman 2011
Tinydave heading for the Galway Half-Ironman 2011
Hello all,
My names Dave Milne and I'm part of Fingal Tri Club. Just sticking up my training and thoughts as i train for the Galway Half Ironman. This is my second season in Triathlons and I'm just as excited as i was last please feel free to look at my blog, the people I name in this blog are great Fingal Tri members, great training partners and now are becoming great friends.

Half a weeks training, half a week boozing !!!!

DaveMilneby DaveMilneFeb 9th 2011
Half a weeks training, half a week boozing !!!!
Well I knew from the get go that this week wouldnÂ't be a full training week as I had a wedding to go to from Thursday onwards in Mayo, so I said I would just do the normal training leading up to Thursday.
Monday was the usual speed session in Lusk but I was held up in work and I had the committee meeting to attend so I got not bike work in at all Monday, but i did get a Fingal Tri water bottle and swim hat (whoop woop). Im a complete Fingal tri branded whore at this stage.
Tuesday would have been Kettlebells but Liuwe had organised a friend of his to come up to the NAC with a range of swim aids, fins, kick boards and wetsuits for everyone to try out, get idea as you can try before you buy so I couldnÂ't turn that offer down. I picked up a pull buoy and some hand paddles to build up some arm strength and to help with better arm position during strokes. I also joined the NAC so I could use the pool in the mornings before work, as 1 session a week is deffo not enough.
Wednesday Morning hasnÂ't normally being a training morning but as im a member of the NAC I decided that I would start as I mean to go on and head to the pool. I met Barbie in the car park before hand so I had a training partner for the morning. Hit the pool around the quarter to 7 mark for a 45-minute swim. As I had no plan of action to do in the pool I decided that I would test out the paddles and pull buoy, Christ them hand paddles are hard on the arms. 50mtrs down and my arms were hanging!!! I took them off after 100mtrs and tried the pull buoy, I will deffo have to use the hand paddles a lot more as I can see/feel the benefit of them. Barbie tried out the paddle and she is hooked so there is another sale. I should work on commission with the amount of referral work I do!!! In our lane we had two female, what I can only describe a fishes flying up and down the lane. I was in fear for the whole time of being CHICKED (being passed by a female) by one of them but I had timed it well that I would stop at the end of the lane when they were near to fix my goggles or take a drink so they didnÂ't pass me mid lane (ha ha ha ha, they were none the wiser of my cunning plan). I think I done at MOST 1200mtrs so im going to call that session a settling in session!!!!!

Thursday morning I met Liuwe for a chat about my training and how I could improve on things and make the most from my training, He gave me a training plan to try out for 6-8weeks. He made a suggestion about the HERD, changing some of the spins to hill repeats on a 10km loop and a few long slow cycles too put mileage into the legs while have a good owl banter amongst the group. Tuesday will be my rest day and Sunday will change from a normally plod around he ring road to a good 90min run is different levels of heart rate (this should be fun). He also told me that I needed to watch my diet (easier said than done). I had a great chat and found out great ways to improve my splits and make the most of my training time. Roll on 6-8weeksÂ.... Of solid training!!!!!

Well from Thursday mid-morning onwards I was on Holiday-ish mode with the most training I got in was playing the hotel swimming pool with my 7 year old and sitting the Canadian hot tub.
Back training Monday I guess
Peace out folks
Blogging Service, © TriBlogs Join TriBlogs to post comments and/or create your own blog, all for free! Read other Triathlon Blogs