so I can say I TRIed
so I can say I TRIed

The performance - several months on

charlieeliseby charlieeliseJan 6th 2012
I said I would blog the actual race afterwards. And I haven't.

Until now. Life got in the way. The day after the triathlon I moved from Bristol to London. And life got crazy and then I moved again and I've been working a lot, and not working out too much, until recently.

So. How did it go?

Well, I can now say I am a Triathlete. I finished. I believe I came third in my age group (not that there are any prizes for that, and it wasn't a big event). But I did it!

I drank some of that fizzy Powerade stuff. It was new last summer and I got a bottle for free, handed out in Bristol city centre. I drank some after lunch at work and felt MENTAL. Like, buzzing. It's advertised as a drink for 'the daily race.' Believe me, it's not. The day I did my triathlon I drank 2/3 of a bottle before I got in the pool and I think that if I hadn't had a major sporting activity to do to burn off the sugar and caffeine, I'd have had to kill someone. Or something. I was so hyped up with nerves as well - that didn't help. I felt on another planet.

Once in the pool area I was concerned. I'd vastly underestimated my speed and loads of people were going REALLY SLOWLY and doing *gasp* breaststroke. This is where I was really lucky. As I stepped up with my number, they told me to wait a few minutes. People before me were taking part in the relay which would go later but for some reason, I was able to get some distance of a few minutes on the girl in front.

I still overtook quite a few people.

I got in the pool and I knew this was it. I WAS BORN TO SWIM. I couldn't have done anything else. I counted my lengths. A girl in front miscounted hers and I doubted myself for a split second. No, I was right. I overtook her as well. Seven minutes and 35 seconds later I was out of the pool - my fastest time ever.

I spent ages in transition apparently. I took my time, yes, but I hadn't counted on there being quite a distance between poolside and bike, then bike to start of course, etc. Just before I'd got into the pool I had changed the lenses on my glasses as it had gone from bright sunshine to cloud. I didn't regret it. It would have been too dark in the long, treelined decent with sunglasses on. Instead I had cheery orange tinted lenses.

I ran into transition and found Hecate waiting, her wheels slowly spinning in the breeze. I think it was the only bike with both wheels off the ground. Helmet on first. I had to put on my race belt and fiddle with safety pins, which was annoying. Next time I will have a vest, I thought. I ate some vegan cola bottles while I fumbled with the pins.

I got the trainers on (no bike shoes yet) and gloves. Not going anywhere without my gloves. I was ready to go. Having seen some people doing crazy stuff coming out at Bristol I was careful not to make a complete tit of myself at the beginning but once I was safe I went for it. I had my bike computer on and I knew what I needed to average to come in at under 45 minutes. Having ridden the course a few times I was amazed at how much easier it was than the first time, which had nearly killed me. The hill training had definitely paid off. A lot of bikes, especially the boys, were already out, and I overtook some, including a really young lad on his second lap. He overtook me, and I overtook again. He had a mountain bike, but he was really going for it. It's hard when it's a lapped course to work out exactly what's going on but I overtook a lot of people, and wasn't overtaken. Which is more than can be said for the run.

I came in at 47.30, which included my transition times. It was about 40-42 minutes I think. So it was just the dreaded 5k run to go. I'd practiced bricks a lot so I was confident but as they say, something unexpected always happens. For me it was a massive stitch which came on as I got off the bike. I assume I'd really gone for it and had messed up my breathing at the end somewhere because it was awful. At one point I had to stop and then walk. This is where I was overtaken a lot. I felt I had to take it easy, then I wondered if I had some kind of stomach problem: it was like a twisting, wrenching stitch.

Eventually it wore off and I concentrated on finishing - and overtaking a girl who was built and looked like a Barbie doll, minus the boobs. Good runner. She finished after me, but with a much faster time. Still, I gave it a go. When I passed the finish line they read out my name. I saw a fellow BADTri member cheering me on from the sidelines. The red and black all-in-one could not be missed.

The run was over 30 minutes (33.15), which I was really disappointed with, especially since I'd run much quicker times recently and was hoping for another record breaker. Overall though I came in under my target time of 1.30 with 1:28:20 - despite the run and transition taking longer than I had hoped. I came 20th overall - and raised over my target of £600 for Against Malaria!

Funnily enough afterwards I didn't feel as tired or hungry as I'd expected. In fact, I ate a very light lunch - it had dulled my appetite. I guess I just felt it was on to the next challenge - moving to London and starting a new job, both of which were happening in less than 48 hours.

I'll be posting an update on what's been going on between now and then, and then restarting the blog for the season, because I've set some even bigger challenges for myself this year!

You'll find out all about that next time.
Blogging Service, © TriBlogs Join TriBlogs to post comments and/or create your own blog, all for free!