Beginner

polardesign1  Apr 6th 2007 at 10:58
polardesign1
Hi all,

I have just joined the group, it looks great.

My problem. 2001 had Hodgkins Disease with spinal compression. Had spinal operation but left me in a wheel chair for a number of days but soon got up and about just..

A number of years later I am thinking of doing a triathlon.
My Legs are still weak, but my cycling is not to bad.
I will be moving to Bristol in April.

Question 1. Does anyone know of a good swimming pool that gives lessons on swimming. I can swim a couple of lengths but technique is appaling and due to spinnal operation I need to get the technique right.

Question 2. Does anyone know of a good running program to get me started, I weight 16 stones so need to loose a bit of weight (To much weight training, I can bench 160 Kgs).

I do still get run down quickly, and my VO2 max is impared due to Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy to the chest during treatment.
I am not scared of a bit of hard work. I am looking to compete in a race or two in 2008 probably.

Any help would be appreciated
regards

Dicky

6 replies

Eddie Hult  Apr 6th 2007 at 14:40
Eddie Hult
Hi Dicky,

I don’t know about the swimming lessons but for the running here is my suggestion.

Most people when they start running will start running either too long, too much or too fast and will after a couple of months get an overuse injury because their bodies were not trained to handle the stress it was put under during their new running training.

Since you are planning well in advance I would suggest you start on the safe side and start slow.

Stage 1: (3-5 months)
For the first 3-5 months try to go jogging at least two times a week preferably 3 times a week. You should jog very very very slowly, I mean it should be so slow that people are almost walking past you. During this time you should increase your time a little every week.
For example:
Week one: run 1 – jog 15 min, run 2 – jog 15 min, run 3 – jog 15 min
Week two: run 1 – jog 15 min, run 2 – jog 18 min, run 3 – jog 15 min
The initial weeks will not increase your conditioning or your strength so much but it is to get your ligaments and joints use to running, some strength training during this stage is also good, you seem to be use to doing that but don’t stop just because you are running, not during this stage anyway. If you are feeling any pain shorten the time you run a little but keep going (some pain is ok as long it goes away a short time after you have finished your workout, if not try to find a good physical therapist that can help before it gets chronic). Keep upping your time each week so you have reached your optimal long run time by the end of the first 3-5 months. Note that during the end of this stage you should be doing two 40-60 min runs and one 70-90 min run depending on the length of the triathlon you are planning on doing.

Stage 2: (1-2 months)
The next stage is when you start working on increasing your speed. Keep your longest run at this same very slow pace and start increasing you speed on your other two runs by doing some easy intervals like 10min easy – 1min a little faster -2min easy – 1min a little faster - ... – 10 min easy. Increase the length, but not speed, of these “slow” intervals.

Stage 3:
Now you should be ready for a long run that’s a bit faster then what you have been doing, one run with some hard interval (for example 6-8x400 meters quite fast) and one run at 10-15km pace. Note that when you have gotten into the third stage you can find countless different suggestions of how to train, how much intervals you should be doing, how long should the long run be, should I be going at 5km pace or half marathon pace on my third run and so forth. Do what you feel seems best but try to have at least one long run and one interval run each week. Keep listening to your body and respond after that, if you stop running for a longer time then go back and start slow again for a few weeks before doing sprint work or “fast” long runs again.

Hope this help.
Good luck.
Eddie
PS you will not find my stage 1 or 2 type of running programs in books or magazines since they usually assume people are in decent running shape to start with. If you what to follow a typical running program working the base, build and peek stages I suggest you wait and do this until after you have complete stage 1 and 2 above, if you do that you can most likely skip the base stage of that new program by them. Also note that this is only my suggestion and since I have not met you it may not be entirely correct for you.

RichG  Apr 7th 2007 at 02:45
RichG
Also visit a good running shop to get decent trainers that are right for you. I had quite a few problems runnning when I started triathlon (shin splints etc) because I chugged around on any old trainers. Eventually I went to a Sweatshop (I think there is one in Bristol in the Next Generation Gym) who did a gait analysis on my running, and let me try out several pairs of trainers by running around their car park before I got a pair that I liked best and suited my running style. All of the previous problems went away very quickly

taobhtire  Sep 5th 2007 at 11:34
taobhtire
Hi Dicky :)

Just started the Total Immersion method of swimming which I find is great and pretty easy on the body too. They sell the DVDs on the website, maybe that would help your swimming if you cant find a coach?

The very best of luck to you! Im a beginner too and terrified haha!

taobhtire  Sep 5th 2007 at 11:34
taobhtire

Just started the Total Immersion method of swimming which I find is great and pretty easy on the body too. They sell the DVDs on the website, maybe that would help your swimming if you cant find a coach?

taobhtire  Sep 5th 2007 at 11:35
taobhtire

AndyB  Sep 27th 2007 at 17:50
AndyB
Hi Dicky

Are you in Bristol?

Come along to a BAD Tri session or e-mail me on coaching@badtri.org. We will be able to sort you out (if you have not found us already)

Andy
Blog: Yellow bikes are the fastest?! triblogs.com/blog/AndyB/ http://www.escoach.co.uk Twitter: www.twitter.com/andybtricoach

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join