Foot Cramp in Swimming

DAVESKY  Mar 21st 2007 at 11:33
DAVESKY
Anyone know a good way to prevent your toes or the underneath of the foot from cramping while swimming. As this has started to happen to me after about 30 mins of swimming

6 replies

Oziem  Mar 21st 2007 at 11:38
Oziem
Do you take on fluids during your swim session? I\'m no expert but isn\'t cramping something todo with low electrolyte?
"Must tri harder"

Alex Prince  Mar 21st 2007 at 15:35
Alex Prince
I think Dave Oziem has pretty much hit the nail on the head, keeping a close eye on fluid and elecyrolyte balance is essential.
I have also suffered with cramp issues swimming and other things that help prevent it are: regular stretching of calfs and base of foot, and Im no swim expert but certainly trying to relax the lower leg more whilst swimming often helps stop the tightening of these muscles.

morgan26  Mar 21st 2007 at 22:05
morgan26
Ive had this a few times and normally find it comes on after repeated hard push -offs during speed work sessions.

As for preventing it, ive no idea and am open to any suggestions!

mikescottt  Mar 22nd 2007 at 10:06
mikescottt
http://www.ironmantalk.com/Podcast.html

check out the ironmantalk website this week. They cover foot cramps in the podcast

SteveB  Mar 25th 2007 at 21:45
SteveB
I have discovered that flexibility in the ankles is key, and keeping the feet nice and relaxed. Any tension there will result in cramp over long periods.
I experienced cramp in my calves in a duathlon today on the bike, and I know it was a result of stiff hamstrings, not warming up enough and bitterly cold weather, forgot my leg warmers! But flexibility is the main one.
For more on flexibility when swimming, Lindsay Benko\'s freestyle DVD is excellent.

alanh  Jan 6th 2008 at 21:17
alanh
hi,
like mentioned before i also occaisionally experience foot cramp from pushing hard from the wall.

i don't kick much or at all when i swim and have found that gentle kicking keeps cramp away.

hope this helps!

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join