Training diary and planner for triathletes and coaches

How is this plan?

sexyloney  Aug 11th 2008 at 17:42
sexyloney
I want to do my first competitive triathlon next year, starting with a sprint then and olympic, this is my plan initially and possibly throughout timetable wise, distances and speeds varying with developments in fitness.

At the minute:

M - Football 7-8pm +Swim with drills 9-10pm

Tu - Run 10k 7-8am + Bike with 5k run in middle 6-8pm

W - Strength Training + Stretch or REST + Stretch

Th - Run 10k 7-8am (Intervals of local res 1.5mile long overspeed with 3 minute rest) + Football 730-9pm

F - Bike 40k as fast as possible. 6-730pm + Swim aerobically 9-10pm

Sa - Rest/Strength Training

Su - Long Road cycle at easier pace taking in hills of rossendale or out on mountain bike with friends.

However, I do feel swimming is my weak point and have discovered a pool on the way to work that opens at 7am or I can go at lunch if I turn up to work early which is probably best option as Ill miss the traffic. Alternative sessions are balanced same:

M - Swim AM (or noon), Football PM, Poss Swim PM (w g/f)
Tu - Run AM (or Noon), Bike with Run PM
W - Swim AM (or noon), Strength Training PM
Th - Run AM (or noon - shower at work), Football PM
F - Swim AM (or noon), Bike Fast PM.
Sa - REST or Strength training
Su - Long ride as above.

I have 3 x swim, 2 x run with 1 brick session to games of football for anaerobic work, 3 x bike, so a kind of 3 x 3 workout plan. Additionally I could arrange (by leaving car at work as I am an essential user for my job) to ride to work, its approx 15 miles each way. I guess if I did that from monday evening to friday morning I could get some decent mileage in my legs BUT not race distance, swim at lunch or on way to work and run or stretch/strength train in the evenings.

Can anyone suggest anyhting better?

I work monday to Friday and can do hours bwteen 8 and 5 i.e. granting some longer lunch hours but its not always possible on mondays due to meetings. Id like 2 rest days

16 replies

edwarma  Aug 12th 2008 at 17:31
edwarma
Hello,

You've clearly been thinking a lot about this!

I would suggest you find a qualified (pref level 3) tri coach and sit down with them for an hour to talk through how to plan your training. You need to work out what areas of triathlon you personally need/want to develop, and then come up with a general plan of how best you can address these over the autumn/winter before the race season.

You've got loads of time, so particularly look to get things like technique (swim, bike and run) and bike position looked at before you go nailing into training.

It's easy to get carried away with trying to do lots of training to make you faster - but if you get this wrong, you can end up wasting a lot of time, or worse getting demotivated or injured. What you do each week is details that can come later, really - aim to get the fundamentals right and you'll get more out of what is clearly a lot of motivation!

Good luck

Matt
BTF level 2 coach

sexyloney  Aug 13th 2008 at 21:47
sexyloney
did you say level 3 so I dont ask you?!!

I think my focus should be on my swimming, Im strong on the bike, ok runner that is develping but I went oTT weight training and swimming Im like a reversed wedge!

Thanks for your advice, is it worth joining a club? I mean as a beginner?

RichG  Aug 14th 2008 at 02:09
RichG
Agree with all of the above (depending on how seriously you're taking it - which seems like quite a bit!) And YES! definitely join a club - do it today!

sexyloney  Aug 14th 2008 at 09:10
sexyloney
Ive been getting bits of advice from someone who used to train with GB squad (so I believe) and have been using kick boards and pull buoys, damn thing is Im off to a festival tonight and wont be able to train until next tuesday and Im actually a bit p***ed I cant train!

edwarma  Aug 14th 2008 at 09:35
edwarma
A good level 3 coach will be trained in how to assess a whole range of things about you currently (skills, fitness, motivation, all that stuff) and then help you set goals and work out how best to achieve them over an extended period.

others can of course give you what will probably be very good advice, but if you get a recommended level 3 coach you can be pretty confident they'll know what they're doing and take a holistic view.

And yes joining a club is a great way of getting better.

Matt

Flan  Aug 14th 2008 at 12:15
Flan
Swim is all about technique. You need to join a club or get into a swim masters club. BUT remember the swim is a fraction of the total event so focus on the running and cycling. Once I got reasonable at swimming (I joined my local club Rugby TRI who have coached swimming)

I now try to split my training plan to reflect the time in each discipline. I tend to do the longer stuff but for me this works out to be 20% swimming, 45% cycling and 35% running.

guy.douglass  Aug 19th 2008 at 21:10
guy.douglass
I will back up everyone else's advice and say join a club!

Not only do they normally have good coaches on hand, but you are surrounded by other people doing the same things and having the same goals as you (and there's usually a broad range of ability).

Being a member of a club also makes it SO much easier to get off the sofa in the first place because your not having to motivate yourself all alone (although it doesn't sound like you have that problem!)

SteveB  Aug 29th 2008 at 20:46
SteveB
All good advice and take it all on board.

Just one question. Where is you rest and recovery?
Strength training is not a rest day. With that level of effort, including an all out 40k bike effort, and the amount of running and including football, your body, legs in particular, are going to take a battering. You will need some rest days in there, otherwise you will burnout, fatigue or get injured or worse still, all 3.
Recovery and rest are the key times that will improve you as a triathlete.

RichG  Aug 30th 2008 at 02:30
RichG
Good stuff - also if you are doing triathlon for fun and aren't too bothered about it then train as you are. If you do want to take it a little more seriously you might want to think about the football.

I love football and used to play a lot, but it just doesn't fit with a good triathlon program, you will always pick up niggles and injury...

sexyloney  Aug 31st 2008 at 12:10
sexyloney
Thanks people, I have a feeling it may change a little as I have just found a tri club who do swim coaching on a thursday. I understand about rest and fatigue I just dont know when Im supposed to get it all in. Iv considered training twice a day with strength on wed and a rest day at weekends if not all weekend off BUT I just dont know when Im supposed to get the required amount of training in to be somewhere decent in competition ?(not finish dead last!). Im struggling to find time to do all the different forms of trainig too, is this where I should move week by week with intervals, hills, oversdistance, time trials etc?

Also I like my football, I enjoy it but also it quite a social sport too?

RichG  Sep 2nd 2008 at 10:37
RichG
2 things

1) don't know how to fit it all in? You look like you're doing about 10 hours a week of training! this is more than enough to not finish last - and to finish in the top half of a race or much higher. I average less than 10 hours a week and I've been known to finish a triathlon in a decent position.. now and then...

2) If you are really worried about fitting all of the triathlon training in... I say again - look at the 2 or 3 hours of football you play a week and, as our american cousins might say... you do the math! besides Triathlon is also a social sport... have you joined a club? gone to club sessions? if you are in a decent club you should realise how sociable it is on race day!

If you have 10 hours a week and make sure your training is good quality, you should have no problems in the long term!

I'm jealous you have so much time!

sexyloney  Sep 2nd 2008 at 22:25
sexyloney
10 hours to finish top half!? you sure!?

RichG  Sep 3rd 2008 at 09:03
RichG
Qualified for the world 70.3 Ironman champs on 7 hours a week...

sexyloney  Sep 3rd 2008 at 18:30
sexyloney
I kind of force myself some days, some train twice and use brick sessions to get a run and bike in

guy.douglass  Sep 4th 2008 at 18:16
guy.douglass
It all depends upon how dedicated you are and whether you want to do anything else in your life. I'm not as serious as RichG by the sounds of things, but fitting 6 hours of training around family and work life still gets me in the top 3rd in local races and top two thirds in national ones. And I'm in my 40s.
A club coach will help you to train smarter not harder.

SteveB  Sep 26th 2008 at 07:21
SteveB
It's all about training smart. Identify your key limiters and what you need to work at, and focus on those. I train 10-12 hours a week. I too qualified for 70.3 worlds this year like RichG(well done Rich!) I trained specifically for that race and identified exactly what I needed to do. I finished 65th out of 900, 10th in my age group.(I will be back next year to try and win my AG, as I crashed this year on the bike). It can be done. What I found helped me this season was plenty of rest days after long runs and long interval sessions(hill repeats) as the course was very hilly. The year before I finished in 382nd place overall.
Work out exactly what you want to do. Target a race and build a training plan leading up to that race. If you want to just buld your base, then focus on long slow bike miles and regular running at very low intensity, and improving your swim technique. No need at this stage of the season to push yourself very hard.
Training will take more out of you than you realise. There's some very good triathletes on this site and plenty of other forums out there that wil give you similar advice.
I'm injured at the moment, as a result of not resting when I needed to. it's killing me, I haven't ridden or run for nearly 3 weeks. If you can stay injury free you will soon find that training for even jut a few hours a week will make you racefit in just a few months and you will do well.
There's a good book by Tom Holland worth reading, called the 12 week triathlete. Have a look in there as to what can be achieved with very few hours.

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join