Training diary and planner for triathletes and coaches

Interesting cleat position

Oziem  Oct 30th 2009 at 12:01
Oziem
Hi all,

Has anyone else read about using a mid sole cleat position?

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2007/01/cleat-position.html

Dave
"Must tri harder"

1 replies

AndyB  Oct 30th 2009 at 12:38
AndyB
Hi Dave

Yes, I've heard quite a bit about it. As you can see from the dates on the blog post it has been around for a couple of years and it is still attracting attention now.

As a set up I do think it would take a bit of getting used to for the 'traditionalists'. I think having the cleat under the ball of your feet allows for caressing of the pedal and further back can lead to a good 'stamp' and as it says here it uses more quads and less calf so is obviously more powerful. It also says towards the bottom it may reduce control of the bike in some situations which could make it more difficult in road racing where cyclists are closer together or where the course is more technical. It means that ankling is less effective so might be good for those athletes that don't ankle effectively but is likely to put more strain on the Achilies.

As mentioned above this was written about two years ago and I haven't seen masses of athletes using the position so they may be unwilling to try or there may be a few detremental things about the position we have not been told or found out. Very interesting reading though especially of you are riding a simple course and have time to experiment.

Fancy trying it when you get back on your bike?

Andy
Blog: Yellow bikes are the fastest?! triblogs.com/blog/AndyB/ http://www.escoach.co.uk Twitter: www.twitter.com/andybtricoach

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join
Other threads that may be of interest
Jan 6th 2007 at 08:43
Jan 24th 2014 at 13:21
Apr 2nd 2010 at 15:25
Oct 27th 2015 at 22:10
Apr 5th 2007 at 01:56
Jul 7th 2010 at 00:32
Jul 27th 2008 at 12:33
Jul 20th 2012 at 15:16
Jul 25th 2009 at 09:09
Sep 29th 2009 at 16:24

Any posts in the TriBlogs Forum are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of TriBlogs. TriBlogs is in no way responsible for the content of external links. If you have an issue with the content of a discussion, please contact us.