Ironman 70.3 Training

bigmafya  Oct 27th 2009 at 20:38
bigmafya
I've secured a place at Ironman 70.3 UK in 2010, now for the training!!! Anyone got any hints/tips/good sessions to follow? I've competed at olympic and sprint distance and can comfortably run a half marathon in 1hr 45 mins. I'd obviously like to be faster though!!!

12 replies

RichG  Oct 28th 2009 at 06:35
RichG
Hint: Run a half marathon less comfortably and you will probably go faster than 1:45!

:-)

Judymac  Oct 28th 2009 at 14:14
Judymac
Well, the best way to go faster is to improve your form rather than just knacker yourself. You could try Chi Running, it takes a little while to get used to but it really makes a difference straight off the bike. You use different muscles than normal style running, so those quads that you hammered up that hill cycling don't matter. That makes you faster because of less fatigue. Whilst it doesn't really matter over the shorter distances, it can make a huge difference over the longer ones.

There is a book and video, and I believe that there is a coach in London who does weekend intros.

For a faster and less exhausting swim look at Total Immersion.

Have fun!

clanga71  Oct 29th 2009 at 11:11
clanga71
I made sure that I did one bike /run session per week. Each week I would go 10km further on the bike and 1 or 2 km on the run. Make sure that you can manage a 8okm ride then 18km run without stopping in training. You'll make it easy!! Can give a few more tip if you like.

bigmafya  Nov 5th 2009 at 22:07
bigmafya
More tips would be great thanks!

When I said "comfortably" I meant that I consistently can run at that pace. Where I struggle is when my perceived effort and pace seems to increase, but I'm actually not seeming to run any faster!!!

I've started doing some shorter distance work (3k - 5k) where I am focussing on increasing my speed.

Any other suggestions?

jmurt71  Nov 6th 2009 at 23:30
jmurt71
Track sessions are pretty much guaranteed to make you faster - be careful though they're strong medicine, don't overdo them or you'll end up injured or overtrained. If a track is awkward to get to then aim for short 400-800m repeats at just above your race pace. Give yourself recovery time and go again - don't do any more than four for your first few sessions, then start picking it up. 400m sessions for pure speed, 800ms to introduce an element of endurance and every now and again mile reps at your target race pace with recovery in between - brilliant but like I said don't overdo it

RDodgson  Dec 3rd 2009 at 14:45
RDodgson
Build up slowly. Medium to long distancing racing is about endurance rather than speed. Have a look at Gordo Byrn's book going long (which is about racing IM, but the training principles for novices are the same) and/or his website endurance corner. Focus on building bike and run endurance and muscular endurance on the bike. You will build the later by doing hills and overgear intervals on the road/turbo or exercise bike - i.e. 4 mins at 70 rpm, with 2 mins rec.

twurtele  Dec 22nd 2009 at 02:22
twurtele
As far as structuring your week:
Two good rides on the weekend. Your long run in the middle of the week. A hard/speed work run when you're not overly tired. Swim as much as possible and use a few of your swims as recovery for the legs (siwm after running/riding), the rest of the training is filler and done moderate/easy working on weaknesses and putting in more miles.

Also, make sure you practice using race fuels in training so that when the day comes you know what your stomach likes and dislikes.

http://ironmantriathlontips.com

abrewer  Dec 22nd 2009 at 16:58
abrewer
I have had the "pleasure" of the UK 70.3 a couple of times before and think in addition to everything else noted - do some hill reps. The bike is all up and down therefore bike choice / gearing is important to leave you feeling fresh after T2.

The run is the same and mostly off road so a tough race.

On the bright side - the scenary is great - and I am planning on going back this year as well.
 bigmafya bigmafya: In terms of bike set up is it not worth using a TT bike for the course?
Dec 31st 2009 09:53

grantsmith  Dec 29th 2009 at 14:13
grantsmith
Trust me, if going to do Wimbleball, ride and run as many hills as you can find. I did it last year and totally underestimated the run course.

Good luck with the training, I will be going down to ride the course at some point in the new year. Will let you know the arrangements if you would like to join us?
 bigmafya bigmafya: Great stuff, thanks! I'm quite lucky as I live in the Chiltern Hills so anywhere I go involves some form of hill. Now we're into the New Year I'm going to make sure I incorporate more hill work into training.
Dec 31st 2009 09:51
 bigmafya bigmafya: It would be good to team up with you down there if I can make it, just let me know!
Dec 31st 2009 09:52
Please consider sponsoring me at: http://www.justgiving.com/Grant-Smith

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join