Knee Pain

sexyloney  Aug 27th 2008 at 18:37
sexyloney
Hi there,

Im getting knee pain on the bike, front of the knee above the patella? any ideas?

9 replies

RichG  Aug 29th 2008 at 14:59
RichG
hmmm tricky... Knees are rubbish - could be one of many things. Saddle height, saddle position (too far back?), peddles - do you have them locked out, is your knee rotating laterally as your foot comes over the top? is you foot position poor (maybe foot rotated out to the back too far if you are having front of knee problems?)

Could be nothing to do with cycling and something you've picked up running? are you fairly new to triathlon? or have you recently increased your training?

Have you thought about seeing a sports physio?

SteveB  Aug 29th 2008 at 20:40
SteveB
Front of knee is generally referred to as patellofemoral syndrome. Can be caused by many things. Can be 2-3 days or a few weeks. Generally overuse injury, or training too much too soon. Upping training volume all of a sudden. It's a common injury with a lot of triathletes.
I have just recently had this. The fix: Ice, rest and plenty of massage. Do not run for a week, then very easy run/walk for a week. Light spinning on the bike only for two weeks. No climbs, no turbo work. If you have rollers, then ride on those, they are ideal for very light pedalling. If you need harder aerobic workout then chance now to work your swim training more.
Take time is the most important thing. Once the pain has gone, do not be fooled and try to get straight back to hard training, as it will return immediately. Before you do, strengthen and flex your quads. Make sure your hamstrings are flexible. Pain in the knee is very rarely the source of the problem. Generally it is a biomechanical thing, so really get your legs strong and flexible once pain free and you will be able to get back to normal. Ease your way back to full training and after around 4 weeks, if sensible, all will be ok.

sexyloney  Aug 31st 2008 at 12:02
sexyloney
thanks for this, I am new to this VOLUME of training. Also I have just added cleats and spd's to my bike?

sexyloney  Aug 31st 2008 at 12:03
sexyloney
thanks for this, I am new to this VOLUME of training. Also I have just added cleats and spd's to my bike?

RichG  Sep 2nd 2008 at 10:39
RichG
did you put the new pedals on before you got the knee pain?

if so we may have an answer!

Check your foot position, check the rotation you have on the pedals (and alter it!)

sexyloney  Sep 2nd 2008 at 17:06
sexyloney
Im not quite sure what you mean by rotation of the pedals

RichG  Sep 3rd 2008 at 09:09
RichG
sorry - rotation or movement.

What pedals are you using?

most of them allow you to adjust the tension in some way so that your feet aren't locked in completely and can have a little freedom of movement. This takes the pressure off the knee a little (especially if your cleats aren't quite correctly set up in the first place - its a difficult science to master!) so if your pedals are currenlty adjusted to the minimum movement you may be able to adjust them so that you have a little more.

Might help with your knee.

RichG  Sep 3rd 2008 at 09:12
RichG
by the way (not entirely clear from my posts above - sorry) the movement is in your feet (shoes) and not the pedals.... that would just be wierd...

sexyloney  Sep 3rd 2008 at 18:28
sexyloney
hi there,

I was out on the bike last night and my cleats felt looser and I had a bit mopre lateral movement and thus, no knee pain. Pedals are shimano ultegra, not really sure how they are better that the ones below them but it was a good deal!

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join