Training diary and planner for triathletes and coaches

Sprint Triathlon Newbie

gpw66  Nov 30th 2007 at 07:24
gpw66
Hi All

Just joined and this looks like a great site to help launch a mid-life adventure !! I have run three marathons before (most recently Dublin Oct 2006) so although a year older I feel ok about the endurance element of Tri but thought it best to dip my toe in the water through a Sprint Tri (May 2008 ish?) first.

Aiming to do a 5 day/6session week as follows:
Swim x 2
Bike x 2
Run x 1
Weights x1 (Combined with the run ... but not at the same time!!)

Any thoughts and advice for a complete novice would be very welcome.

Thanks

7 replies

guy.douglass  Dec 1st 2007 at 09:10
guy.douglass
Join a club.
They will give you all the advice you need, will train with you (always easier than on your own) and you will get better faster.
This is particularly important with the swimming, where you can train until you're blue in the face and not get much faster unless someone is improving your technique.
There are loads of clubs listed on www.britishtriathlon.org

Good luck! No doubt you'll get as addicted as the rest of us.

gpw66  Dec 3rd 2007 at 11:24
gpw66
Thanks Guy.

Part of the attraction of not having to join a club is that with work and family commitments, I was hoping just to be able to fit in the training as and when I could, - a bit more flexible than tied to a club timetable, although I appreciate fully that such a move would probably be a real benefit. I might be able to squeeze in one swim in the week with a club and end up doing the rest myself.

I'll do some research through the web link you were kind enough to post.

Thanks

gpw66  Dec 3rd 2007 at 11:24
gpw66
Thanks Guy.

Part of the attraction of not having to join a club is that with work and family commitments, I was hoping just to be able to fit in the training as and when I could, - a bit more flexible than tied to a club timetable, although I appreciate fully that such a move would probably be a real benefit. I might be able to squeeze in one swim in the week with a club and end up doing the rest myself.

I'll do some research through the web link you were kind enough to post.

Thanks

Chig  Dec 4th 2007 at 22:17
Chig
Hi GPW66,
welcome.
If you can do that many sessions a week you'll breeze a sprint. I'm not sure how good your swimming or cycling is, but I reckon you'll soon be eyeing up the longer events! Very sensible to start with a sprint first though.
My best advice would be to combine one of your bike sessions with a run, so that you can not only practice transitions ( vital at this distance where you can easily make up a heap of time on a much better swimmer, by having an efficient transition), but also to get used to that fantastic feeling of running off the bike.

Enjoy your training mate!

gpw66  Dec 5th 2007 at 20:46
gpw66
Thanks Chig.

I was advised to do the Sprint version first, so glad to hear it sounds like good advice.

Not sure about your idea of enjoying "running off the bike" though... not sure running at that stage is going to be very enjoyable at all !!!!

My swimming and cycling both require a lot of work - the fitness will probably come on ok but the technique - including the transitions you mentioned - will all be areas I need to work on. I followed the advice above and have found a club near me so perhaps I'll go along for a few pointers when I can find the time and my fitness levels etc. have improved.

Is there a Sprint Tri you would recommend. I'm London based but don't mind a bit of travelling if necessary.

Cheers

Glenn

Flan  Dec 12th 2007 at 09:01
Flan
The Milton Keynes series are good. Includes sprints and standard (Olympic) distance races.

gpw66  Dec 12th 2007 at 09:29
gpw66
Thanks Phil.

Milton Keynes sounds good - thanks.

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join