Training diary and planner for triathletes and coaches

Turbo Training Sessions

gpw66  Mar 3rd 2008 at 07:35
gpw66
OK I could really do with some help here. Following 2 months of Tri training it became clear that having bombed out of my first home-based Turbo time trial after only half the distance (11km out of 22km) my cycling needs a lot of help.

I have focused on my swimming with turbo sessions on the bike the only cycling I have done. Several reasons: 1. live in London 2. Dark evenings and mornings 3. Wanted to build some miles into my cycling legs at aerobic level (92 rpm HR 140-150 bpm)

Any inspiration for sessions from you guys would be great, bearing in mind the clearest lesson for me - especially having used Triblogs to analyse my training - was I was just not cycling enough.

Very grateful in advance

4 replies

RichG  Mar 4th 2008 at 14:30
RichG
Not buying the London excuse here in Beijing!!

But! for Turbo try iPod/MP3 I have a playlist specifically for Turbo training. I hand pick the tunes so that they are at a certain speed - so between 85-110bpm unless I need something slower/faster so I can ride in rhythm with the music.

I do this and tap away for ages - although it can be better if you pick longer songs. Short songs tend to make the training seem longer!

RichG  Mar 4th 2008 at 14:31
RichG
Not buying the London excuse here in Beijing!!

But! for Turbo try iPod/MP3 I have a playlist specifically for Turbo training. I hand pick the tunes so that they are at a certain speed - so between 85-110bpm unless I need something slower/faster so I can ride in rhythm with the music.

I do this and tap away for ages - although it can be better if you pick longer songs. Short songs tend to make the training seem longer!

gpw66  Mar 5th 2008 at 18:02
gpw66
Thanks Rich

I think the music is a great idea and until recently had never used music - bit of purest approach I guess. However, I have started to use it recently with the cycling and running and it does make lower HR sessions less boring. I like the idea of matching the music beat to the cadence - must try that.

You or anybody else got any favourite turbo sessions that I could try just to begin to build this part of my triathlon prep? Or a paticular book to recommend I read?

Also - should the break down of my training time reflect the amount of time spent on each discipline in a race? I know that sounds like an obvious question but I wondered if the technical element of the swim might mean it requires disproportional attention.

Thanks again

guy.douglass  Mar 6th 2008 at 13:01
guy.douglass
This winter I have found that the new(ish) Wombats album is really good for Turbo. The cadence changes slightly from track to track (and sometimes within tracks), so to keep your heart rate up you change gear and push a bit harder.
And it's good music in its own right as well.

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join