Training diary and planner for triathletes and coaches

Using Contacts to Tri

seeannietri  Jun 20th 2009 at 09:51
seeannietri
Hay up,

Does anyone use contacts throughout a Tri? How do they fare in the swim and bike in particular? I have raced without them or specs so far and could probably do with the extra vision!

Cheers,
Annie

5 replies

Oziem  Jun 22nd 2009 at 14:54
Oziem
Have you thought of using prescription googles and sunglasses? I don't need glasses personally but I'm pretty sure you can get both.

Dave
"Must tri harder"

guy.douglass  Jun 22nd 2009 at 15:32
guy.douglass
I use contact lenses throughout and they are great. I couldn't see without them so they're a life-saver. I haven't tried prescription goggles but then as soon as you take them off you're blind into transition, just when you need to see where your bike is! I have now been racing with contacts for five years and haven't had a single problem.

jakobbonne  Jun 25th 2009 at 10:44
jakobbonne
Hello,

I use contacts too. I have been a swimmer and coach for many years, using contacts both in and out of the pool without any problems. I allways use goggles when swimming, but they are just normal swimgoggles. Some are even able to swim with contacts and no goggles without loosing the lenses, but I would not recommend that!

Cheers,
Jakob

doogiec  Jun 25th 2009 at 15:24
doogiec
I use the daily type during a tri. In the pool I think there is a risk of infection, but I've had no problems. perhaps because they get thrown out and not reused it's not an issue. I don't bother for trianing, just as long as I can see as far as the person swimming in front. Would be good to take non prescription sunglasses on the bike, just in case of flying debris. But the extra conidence of vision is worth it I reckon. i never like wearing my normal glasses on the bike. Experienced an expensive training session taking off my glasses with helmet done up. The arm snapped when i took them off more sideways than forwards and didn't release from the strap!!

seeannietri  Jul 26th 2009 at 16:22
seeannietri
Cheers all - I did my first tri with contacts today - no going back now!

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join