Training diary and planner for triathletes and coaches

What is considered a good time 4 1st tri

brianstokes  Aug 31st 2006 at 21:43
brianstokes
I have just completed my 1st triatlon in wiltshire. My overall time for a sprint was 1 hr 23 secs.
400m swim 7.10
16k bike 28.59
5k run 24.14

How can I improve and where\'s a good place to get coaching?

10 replies

theeel  Sep 1st 2006 at 08:58
theeel
The best way to improve is to join a club and soak up all the knowledge there is in a club. If you did Wiltshire then you could join any number of local clubs look at the British Triathlon Website for your nearest club.

For your first Tri you certaily did well and I am sure with a few good training sessions over the winder you can hit the 2007 season with a BANG!

Take care

the eel
The eel

harderfasterstronger  Sep 11th 2006 at 21:22
harderfasterstronger
Well it is hard to tell for your bike and run splits as i don\'t know the course, the swim is reasonable and now is the time to work on it, anything around the 6 min mark is good

brianstokes  Sep 12th 2006 at 16:21
brianstokes
Thanks for the advice. I have joined a swimming club for the winter and have completed another tri which became a dualatlon. Had a good result and came 11 overall in the south coast sprint. Loooking for some cycling clubs nearby but still getting out every other day on the bike and have lined up the xterra tri in camberley on the 24th. any other tips or advice would be good. Thanks

guy.douglass  Sep 12th 2006 at 17:23
guy.douglass
Good that you\'re joining clubs, but would be better if you could find a local tri club rather than joining separate clubs for each discipline. There are specific swimming and cycling skills that are useful in tri that may be frowned upon by swimming and cycling purists; also you will gain valuable tips on transition (the fourth discipline) and making excuses for poor times (the fifth discipline).

brianstokes  Sep 12th 2006 at 18:13
brianstokes
The only prob I can gather from my local club is that for me there is not enough training/coaching. I train about 8-10 hrs per wk at the moment. I have tried to contact another club and am waiting a reply. Thanks again though the more advice the better. One thing though is I am really enjoying the training. I used to compete in decathlons so the change is good and refreshing and I\'m seeing better results.

SteveB  Oct 23rd 2006 at 20:36
SteveB
Hi.

Great times for your first tri, well done.
I lost my Tri virginity in September, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Wimborne Fast Twitch and I came just outside the top 100 out of nearly 400 starters, which I was chuffed to bits with because I\'m so used to bringing up the rear at running events!
Having now been bitten by the bug I have been looking at joining a club for next year. I\'ve seen a lot of websites, but as I\'m new to the sport I\'m not sure what questions I should be asking and what sort of things clubs offer, or what should they be offering?
Any adivce would be most helpful!
Cheers!

guy.douglass  Oct 24th 2006 at 08:28
guy.douglass
Re what to look for in a club: I can only say that the club I am a member of (Cheltenham Tri) has everything I\'m looking for and therefore could be used as a bit of a model.
1. Look for a club that has a good mix of ability from real novices to age-group world winners. That way there are people at your own level to have a laugh with and people who show you what can be achieved.
2. Look for a club that doesn\'t concentrate on one discipline. Some are run by ex swimmers or cyclists and tend towards an uneven balance.
3. Difficult to tell straight away, but try to find a club who don\'t take themselves too seriously. You\'re likely to spend a lot of time with these people and you\'ll want to be able to have a chuckle every now and then.

SteveB  Oct 24th 2006 at 08:43
SteveB
Guy

Many thanks for your input, much appreciated. I have been on and off about joining a club. As much as I am serious about the sport, I am in it purely for the fun factor. I\'ve always played sport with a smile on my face, otherwise what\'s the point!
Your advice is well received and will help me make a decision about the right club for me.
If with a club that is affiliated to the BTA, is it necessary to join the BTA with a personal membership? Or is it worth doing just that anyway?

Regards
Steve

guy.douglass  Oct 24th 2006 at 11:16
guy.douglass
Joining the BTA saves you a bit on race entry fees, gives you a rather dry quarterly magazine and a nice car sticker. Apart from that I\'m not really sure - it\'s probably a must if you want to compete for GB at age group level?!? For us mere mortals as a member you do feel a part of the tri community (careful though - you don\'t want to become a triathlon bore!)

SteveB  Oct 24th 2006 at 13:28
SteveB
True, but then again, I\'m already an IT bore so maybe I could add tri to my list of boring topics at the dinner table!!
Think I will make contact with the club that I think will suit me and sound them out, based on the criteria you suggested.
And I\'ll leave the BTA for the moment. A couple of quid off each race isn\'t really much of an insentive for a mere mortal like me!

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join