Drunk legs !

ritchie  Jun 9th 2008 at 13:27
ritchie
Hi , I am a new to tri , have just completed my first Big cow tri weekend Sat :- aquathon , 1000mt swim time trial and a 10k run Sun ;- sprint tri I loved it, right up my street. My question to you hardened tri people is what can i do to get rid of that "someones knicked my legs feeling" as I start to run , Ii am a seasoned runner and have done loads of endurance races , but there was no feeling like this when i did them.
Please help, i have my next event in 6 weeks and would like to perform better off the bike. (Big Cow olyimpic)

ta keith

12 replies

sags  Jun 9th 2008 at 15:12
sags
No real secret here. Some people like brick training - bike followed by run repeats. Others say that bricks don't do anything but practice bleeding!!

Personally, near race season, I do this session:

Warm up on bike EZ with a few spin ups
3 miles or 9 mins quite hard on the bike (turbo is good for this)
Jump off the bike and run 1k
Rest 2 mins then repeat.

Start with 3 to 4 repeats of the bike run. Keep the bike effort constant (quite hard) but get faster on each subsequent run effort of 1k.

I start with a 4 min 1k and decrease by 10 sec on each run (or I try to!). The idea is that you have to run faster as you get more fatigued. Try short choppy strides as you start the run and then gradually lengthen your stride as you find your run rhythm.

I found the more I raced the easier it got to run after the bike. However, there are still days when no matter what, the legs are in bits and stay that way for the entire run!

ritchie  Jun 9th 2008 at 15:59
ritchie
Thanks, Sounds good, in a painfull kind of way , i'll give it a go.

cheers

sags  Jun 18th 2008 at 14:21
sags
How did the session go? Still got drunk legs! I note that you are close by in St Neots. I am in Huntingdon.

ritchie  Jun 19th 2008 at 10:28
ritchie
Yes , done it a few times now, as suspected it was real painful but enjoyable workout. i think your probably right it is just teaching me to enjoy pain. getting used to it now !

Realy got the bug for more tri,s spent a lot of years as a runner and need a change , would like to find local people to train with now and again , have been looking at the local clubs pactrac and bedford harriers .

As you are in huntingdon, do you train with either of these clubs ? or can you recommend one.

I would also like to practice more open water swims, is there something near us.

bisceeezy  Jun 24th 2008 at 22:40
bisceeezy
Hi ritchie.

just poking my nose in.

in addition to those great brick sessions (which are invaluable in my opinion; as much for the psychology as the physical switch over), on race day try preparing in the last KM or so, on the bike. I find that i use that last stint to really psych myself up for the run. Don't be afraid to rise out of the saddle to stretch the legs out. I find it's just a case of fidgeting about and reminding your legs of their day job - they certainly do tend to forget!

happy racing!

Bisco
Life should be Bisceeezy

ritchie  Jun 25th 2008 at 10:26
ritchie
Cheers, with all that good advise, I should see some improvement next weekend (2nd big cow sprint)
i'll let you know how i get on

thanks

sags  Jun 30th 2008 at 15:19
sags
Ritchie. Great to hear that you are getting stuck in! I compete for RAF Tri so am not a member of the local tri clubs. However, I sometimes run with Hunts ac. They train on road and track on Tuesday and Thursday evenings at St Ives outdoor leisure centre. I havn't done much with them since the London Marathon but it is good training. I also sometime join in with the open water sessions that Cambridge Tri run at Histon Lakes - check out the Hunts ac and Cambridge Tri websites for details..

I tend to train at odd times so I can keep the family happy but always happy to link up during a long bike at a weekend.

Good tips for the end of the bike leg in the previous post. At the end of the bike leg I also tend to slip into a slightly easier gear and turn the legs over at a higher cadence. i agree, though, much of it is mental - prepare the body for the change to running, short choppy strides until the bike legs ease off, then cruise! ........great in theory eh!!!

Happy training!

roborob  Jul 2nd 2008 at 00:03
roborob
Agree with Sags on that last point - ease up in the last few minutes of the bike, up the revs, and move about a bit to work a few lower back and calf stretches in whilst on the move. The key thing to remind yourself here is that any time you lose doing this (which is neligable if you do it on the flats and/or downhills with the benefit of momentum) can be easily made up on the run if the legs are fresher. Easy to succumb to the urge to storm the bike leg, but us Triathletes need to remember that our time is all three + transisitions put together! No prizes for fastest leg (unless you're in the elite in which case you won't be reading this!)

Good luck and hope the legs sober up next time!

RichG  Jul 2nd 2008 at 08:19
RichG
I'm going to the World Champs but I'm still reading this

roborob  Jul 2nd 2008 at 15:57
roborob
Okay what I meant to say then was elite standard athletes probably wouldn't follow this kind of technique - is this the case or do you have a similar strategy, and if not would you recommend this to those of novice/intermediate level?

ritchie  Jul 7th 2008 at 08:30
ritchie
What a result, 5 minute PB for the same coarse, I believe as a direct result of all you guys idea's,
I did those painful brick sesions, but feel the biggest result came from using a high gear, turing up the cadence and standing/wiggling about on the pedals, i got off the bike and could run almost instantly, it felt great, Bring on the olyimpic in 2 weeks Thanks all.

RichG  Jul 9th 2008 at 01:43
RichG
I wouldn't say I was elite, but from my perspective its all good advice. I find the bike can be frustrating because its about finding a happy medium between a speed you know you can ride - and a speed you can ride and then still get off and run... if you know what I mean?? Especially if its a longer race. The bike is about keeping your head and getting through the distance with enough left in the tank to knock out a decent run, its not about trying to overtake people up the climbs...

But I would say that in sprint races and standard distance, you can blast out a fast bike and still get off and do a good run. But easing off a little towards the end of a ride is always a good thing to do unless you're super-confident you can run hard off the bike.

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join