Training diary and planner for triathletes and coaches

WICKWAR OPEN WATER SWIMMING, NORTH BRISTOL

paulhorsfall  Jun 24th 2009 at 18:04
paulhorsfall
There is a new lake available for O/W Swimming in Wickwar.

At the moment places are limited so please contact me if you want to know more detail.

The lake allows 750m laps in clear water, is suitable for intermediate to experienced swimmers.

Cost £4 and members must show BTF race licence on arrival (for insurance purposes).

Opening for triathletes is limited to 9 - 10am , all swimmers must be out of the water by 10.30am.

12 replies

seeannietri  Jun 25th 2009 at 16:38
seeannietri
Sounds Fab. I live in Bath so Bristol would be ideal. Are there any other open water venues nearby? I don't belong to a club yet - so no licence - but I'll get onto it. Cheers, Annie

Oziem  Jun 26th 2009 at 21:54
Oziem
This is a great lake! I would definitely recommend it to anyone in the area.
"Must tri harder"

edwarma  Jun 30th 2009 at 11:11
edwarma
Hi Paul

What days can you swim there and where is it?

Ta

Matt E

NewTriathlete  Jul 19th 2009 at 23:54
NewTriathlete
Are there any other lakes available in Bristol without race licenses?

PeterW  Sep 29th 2009 at 17:57
PeterW
I have just done my first Tri and need now to think about open water swimming - Wickwar is just round the corner for me so any further details of this would be great.

Thanks Peter

PeterW  Nov 2nd 2009 at 16:40
PeterW
I have just spoken to the people at West Country Water Park (Filton/Bristol)- says he will charge a fiver for a swim - just ring him to make sure he's not hiring it out to jet skis or your may find things a bit more hectic than your average open water start.

madmike  Jul 13th 2010 at 19:06
madmike
hi, everyone my name is mike,i am the owner of west country waterpark in bradley stoke. peter is correct ,we are now open for swimming etc, but the facts are it is 4 per swim and there are absolutely no other watercraft on the lake whilst swimmers are ther ,they have their own allotted time. please feel free to ring me any time for info. i will keep you updated from time to time. there will be a new web site tomorrow- www.triopenwater.co.uk
i look forward to your feed back

richards  Jul 26th 2010 at 16:48
richards
If anyone is interested we are organising a Tuesday evening Aquathlon series in Bradford on Avon with a river swim, and two BIG SWIMS/Aquathlons one on Sunday 8th August at Bradford on Avon and one on Saturday 21st August at Vobster Quay nera Radstock (probably the best open water swimming in the South West region). In the am there are open water swim coaching clinics and the BIG SWIM/Aquathlons offer 750m / 1500m / 3.8km swims with a 5 or 10km run option. Full details and online entry available at DB Max www.dbmax.co.uk.

SamMC  Mar 6th 2012 at 14:18
SamMC
Just got back from a session at the West Country Water Park, it is a great swim at 600m per lap although I forgot how cold it can be at this time of year. I believe there are evening training sessions held on tuesday and wednesday run with coaches who are looking to train open water swim skills and transition tips, not 100% on this though. Mike (who is a gret chap) owns the park knows all the details, can be easily accessed by telephone, he seems really excited about the future of the sport and has real drive to expand his facilities . Has a high recommendation from me!

Ironman84  May 3rd 2012 at 17:24
Ironman84
It's been some time since this thread started so I thought I'd best ask if the Wikwar pool still in operation and if so when ? (before I trot up there)

Oziem  May 4th 2012 at 20:46
Oziem
I think the lake is still open, theres also some races there starting in a few weeks http://k2sports-uk.com/cromhall-triathlon-may-2012.php
"Must tri harder"

Pikey  May 4th 2012 at 22:12
Pikey
Interesting, might use the June event as a warm up for the Bristol Harbourside, nice link. thanks

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join